Monday, December 12, 2011

Trip report with teen boy

I thought I%26#39;d report on our spring break visit with teen son. Because it is too early in the season, Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun were still closed. I wish Worlds of Fun had been open to break up the trip because my son was on museum overload by the end.





Free visits included the Money Museum at the Federal Reserve Bank, the Harley Davidson tour, and the Oz exhibit at Crown Center. The Money Museum is a quick, easy stop if you%26#39;re near the WWI Museum. It was worth it just to watch the people working the sorting/shredding machine and the robots going back and forth with stacks of money. The Harley Davidson tour was very good and my son%26#39;s favorite part of the trip. The Oz exhibit was not what I expected. I thought it was going to be an exhibit of props from the movie, but it is really a play area for small children. It was just a quick walkthrough for us, but it would be a good free stop if you are taking younger children to Kaleidoscope.





The other museums that we went to were the WWI Museum, the Steamboat Arabia, and the Truman Presidential Library and Museum. The WWI was very good and my son enjoyed it. The trip to the tower was a waste. Maybe KC natives enjoy it, but without knowing what I was looking at, the view from the bottom was just as good. The Steamboat Arabia Museum is very well done, but my son was a bit bored. I would definitely recommend it for adults though. We were very surprised when one of the men that found the Arabia walked in the room to talk to our tour group. As for the Truman Library, it was a good museum for adults to visit, but my son had absolutely no interest in it. I think he expected more items from WWII on exhibit, rather than reading about it and watching movies. He didn%26#39;t really care for any of the information on Truman%26#39;s life or other aspects of his presidency, and things like his decision to drop the bomb were barely discussed.





We stayed at a Country Inn %26amp; Suites near the Legends. While this is a good area to stay in with Dave %26amp; Busters and T-Rex cafe, we were not happy with the hotel and wouldn%26#39;t stay there again. The service there was very poor and it is right next to the minor league stadium and the Speedway, so I wouldn%26#39;t want to be there when there are events. There is more in my review of the hotel.





We ate at Fritz%26#39;s in Crown Center (always fun), T-Rex (son is getting a little old for this, but still enjoyed it) and Arthur Bryant%26#39;s (on Brooklyn Street). Arthur Bryant%26#39;s was good, but a little greasy and a pretty basic, fast food type meal. It was fine for lunch, but I%26#39;d want something a little nicer if I was going for dinner.



Trip report with teen boy


If either of you would like to see Wizard of Oz sites, just drive west from KC to Wamego, Kansas (there is a museum there that is fun...and Wamego is only about 20 minutes east of Manhattan so lots of things to do there)



You can also drive to the southwest part of the state to see the house (it wasn%26#39;t worth the drive for me but others think it%26#39;s fun)



www.liberal.net/info/events/oz.html



Thanks for posting about your trip, because we haven%26#39;t been to the Money Museum so think we%26#39;ll check it out sometime!



Trip report with teen boy


Thanks, I didn%26#39;t know about the Oz sites in Kansas. I may have to check them out next road trip to KC.

No comments:

Post a Comment