Monday, December 12, 2011

What to do around Union Station

I%26#39;m hoping to get a hotel room near Union Station and I need advice on what to do that is around Union Station. Thinking of taking metro to the Arch. Problem is that we are bringing our youngest with us: 12 yr girl that loves to see the sites and a 15 yr boy that is ';bored'; with seeing the sites everywhere we go. He%26#39;s into music (alternative rock) and likes to play sports but not watch. In order to not make this trip excrutiating for us (or him) what can we do on our short trip (3 days)? Museums are out-we%26#39;ve been to alot and we visited museums here in St. Louis when he was 6. Thanks so much for your help!



What to do around Union Station


Forgot to say our trip is scheduled for Mar 25-28. We were trying to visit somewhere close enough to drive since my husband is scheduled for eye surgery March 30 and do not want to take a chance on air travel delays. We live in southeastern Iowa and St. Louis is about 4 hours away.



Anyway....thanks!



What to do around Union Station


Well...for your son there is an upper limits rock climbing gym right by Union Station. I haven%26#39;t been to that one, but rock climbing gyms in general are fun for athletic-minded people.





Not around Union Station....but what about Dave and Busters in Earth City? That can be fun for the whole family, particularly the 15 year old, though.




I know you mentioned not going to museums but what about the City Museum? It is not a museum in the traditional sense. Check out the link. It is a cab ride from Union Station. Go at night to make it more exciting for the kids. It can get pretty lively.





http://www.citymuseum.org/home.asp





http://www.citymuseum.org/3D.html





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbz2F7R29i8







As you mentioned- The Arch is great.




I second the City Museum.




I couldn%26#39;t be LESS of a City Museum fan, but I know others dig it.......




When my nieces and nephews visit I cave in and take them to Six Flags. It is about 30 minutes west of St. Louis. That is their favorite. Another activity they like is going rollerblading around Creve Coeur Lake.





A while back I took my niece to The Focal Point (www.thefocalpoint.org) . It is about 15-20 minutes from St. Louis. It is a non-smoking venue for watching folk/Indie bands. When we were there we saw the Scottish band %26#39;Old Blind Dogs%26#39;. We had a great time. Plus there are numerous restaurants nearby. For an awsome indy radio station for your son tune into 89.1. It is run by students at Lindenwood University and by far the best radio station out here although the weekend format can get funky.





The Zoo and Science are sure to please just about everybody. I have not been to The City Museum so I have no opinion there.




I think you and your kids would have a great time at the City Museum. A AB brewery tour is always a big hit for visitors also.




';I couldn%26#39;t be LESS of a City Museum fan, but I know others dig it.......%26#39;





That may be, but it%26#39;s a pretty good suggestion for a 12 year old and 15 year old... particularly since one is on the athletic side. It%26#39;s really pretty close in concept to a climbing gym. You climb around in both places. The difference is that one is on walls with a more structured environment and the other is on well, pretty much everything.





Also, you might want to look into which shows are at the Pageant in the Loop when you are in town. There are quite a few alternative groups that come through there, and not all of the shows (if any) require you to be 21 to enter. Depending on when you are in town, you could also see who is playing at the Verizon ampitheater. It is a little ways from Union Station though (about 30-45 minutes).




We are just going to have to agree to disagree on the City Museum thing...I don%26#39;t liken it to a climbing gym at all. I don%26#39;t think it is great for anyone besides small children, really...I just didn%26#39;t dig it.





That isn%26#39;t to say that hoards of people don%26#39;t LOVE it because I know they do...just not something I recommend to anyone.





I was very disappointed when we went....maybe because everyone bragged on it so much?? I enjoyed the big slides but that was the extent of it...I, personally, found it to be....dark...weird....dirty looking....but lots of small children were having a blast! Great for them...just not somewhere I will ever go again.




We just returned from two nights in St.Louis with two 14 year old boys. We saw Cirque Dreams at the Fox Theater (what I wanted to do) on Sunday afternoon--I wasn%26#39;t sure the boys and my husband would be thrilled with the performance, but they willingly went and really enjoyed it. The theater in itself is awesome--check the website--www.fabulousfox.com. The show is full of contortionist/gymnast acts. Your 12 year old will love it and your 15 year old will probably even like it. We stayed at the Drury Inn at Union Station, and I would highly recommend it. Free hot breakfast--not just muffins and bagels--from 6:30 to 9:30. Free cocktails, pop, and snacks from 5:30 to 7pm. All in a beautifully restored historical building with free parking and 2 minute walk to the metro. Union Station is a beautiful building. Be sure to check out the whispering arch. Shopping there is dismal at best, but the building is beautiful. Take a 20 minute drive to the Galleria for shopping--well worth the effort.





No comments:

Post a Comment